The Autry Fellowship is a competitive fellowship program for talented and ambitious recent college graduates. It provides an opportunity to work for one year as a full-time, paid staff member at MDC (originally known as “Manpower Development Corp.”). The Autry Fellowship supports the mission of MDC–to help organizations and communities in the South close the gaps that separate people from opportunity–by developing a cadre of young leaders who have experience promoting economic development, increasing equity and excellence in education, building inclusive civic cultures, and who are poised and ready to apply their new learning to benefit this region.
- the capacity to understand complex economic and social issues and communicate those issues clearly and persuasively
- the ability to communicate and work with people who have diverse backgrounds and experiences
- a commitment to MDC’s mission
- prior work or study in a variety of relevant areas, including public policy, education, economic and workforce development, poverty alleviation, sociology, political science, Southern studies, community development, leadership development, or a similar field
- demonstration of leadership potential in the areas of interest
- United States residency
- candidates must be in their final year of undergraduate studies or have graduated within two years